CAR ACCIDENTS – WHAT TO DO IMMEDIATELY AFTER AN ACCIDENT
Being involved in a car accident can be extremely scary for any individual. Both parties may be unaware of what they supposed to do or even how to handle the situation. Often individuals are too shocked in the immediate aftermath to realize that they have been injured. Further, most individuals, having never been involved in an accident, have no idea what to do. Here are some practicable tips for what to do immediately following an accident:
1. Get yourself and the injured parties to safety. Do not administer medical treatment, unless necessary. If a party has serious injuries, do not move them – you could worsen their injuries.
2. Call 911 – Contact emergency personnel and get medical assistance right away. Create a report at the scene with an officer if possible and include a description of any present injuries. Make sure the officer is aware of all of the facts of the accident so that he or she can determine fault.
3. Exchange insurance and contact information with all involved parties (if you can). You will want to get at a minimum, their name, address and phone number. You do not need to ask any other questions or make any further comments.
4. Even if you do not feel as though you are injured, get medical assistance for yourself too. It is recommended that you seek treatment to rule out any injury that may be latent or developing without your knowledge.
5. Contact a knowledgeable and experienced Accident Injury Attorney to help. If you have been injured in a car accident, both legal and medical attention is critical. These types of cases can be complex and the laws involved require experience. Insurance companies are not willing to fork over loads of money without some pressure. If you’ve been injured in an accident, an attorney can advise you of your rights and help determine who was as fault versus who was truly negligent.
Contact The Boyd Law Firm, LLC today regarding your Car Accident. We will assess your case for free and help to determine if you are entitled to compensation. Call us at 816.721.8214 to schedule a consultation or contact us online with your questions.